Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Crucible, The Red Scare, & Other Witch Trials

1. What was Miller's point in writing The Crucible?
I found this website to be extremely helpful! The site talks about McCartheism, what was going on in politics during the time Miller wrote the Crucible, and how the book was a direct attack on McCartheism.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/crucible/context.html

This site states the Miller wrote The Crucible as a reaction to McCarthy Era and to mass hysteria. http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/amiller.htm


2. How are McCarthyism, the Red Scare, Arthur Miller and The Crucible interrelated?
The following website does a great job at explaining how McCarthyism spread into mass hysteria just as the Salem Witch Trials did. Senator McCarthy attended a woman's Republican meeting and claimed to know 205 Department of States people that were involved with communism. McCarthy, like Abigail in The Crucible, had enough people convinced of communism that mass hysteria spread throughout the country. It was a "witch hunt" for people were were involved in communism, just as the witch hunts during the Salem Witch Trials. Then when the people of the Department of States were questioned they often ended up lying to save their own careers. This would compare to the Puritans during their dilemmas that dealt with being a witch or not.
http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Mccartheism


A great website about the Red Scare.
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/SaccoV/redscare.html


3. Document other times in American history when 'witch hunts' were conducted and discuss the outcomes of the Salem witch hunt and the other witch hunts you find. What do they all have in common?

Jews, gays, gypsies, and mentally handicapped during WWII
Religions fighting eachother
The Salem Witch Trials resulted in innocent people being killed due to mass hysteria. To me, the other 'witch hunts' through out our history are due to the fact of people wanting the victims to conform to what they think is acceptable. Does that make sense?

The Jews, gays, gypsies, and mentally handicapped were often killed or tortured during WWII. Hitler would send races or types of people he didn't like to concentration camps. Often times the people were overworked with pointless jobs or there were to many people confined to one area which resulted in many diseases being spread. Below is a list of other events people suffered through:
1. Gas chambers
2. Scientific experiments on twins
3. Poor diets/Starvation
4. Acid showers
5. Lice

Religions--For example the Shiites and the Sunni have been fighting wars for years over religion and the Holy Land. The website below explains the difference between the Shiites and the Sunni.
http://hnn.us/articles/934.html

AMERICAN WITCH HUNTS
Native Americans, good site about Native Americans! Both talk about the problems with reservations and the settlers.
http://www.nativeamericans.com/
http://nativeamericanrhymes.com/library/conflicts/overview.htm

34 comments:

Villyne said...

Just a note, i don't thing thousands of ppl died in Salem Witch Trials. If i remember right, it was somewhere around 20 or so. Don't hold me to it

Stephanie Hansen said...

What a great start to this assignment!! Can you find information about the other "witch hunts" that you mention? The persecution of the Jews, of the mentally ill or handicapped, of the homosexual? Keep up the good work!!

Kayla Jessen said...

Good Job Morgan... I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with this assignment. I wish I had it done though because like always there are a million things to get done.

Jamie said...

Great job Morgan, you brought up things in your blog that I never thought of...Great sites.

SARAH said...

The first site you mentioned is a great site. Even though it is said that Miller's book was a direct attack on McCarthyism, I think this attack was necessary to get his point across. Don't you? Good job, your blog helped me a lot.

SARAH said...

Its terrible that McCarthy got so many people to believe in his bizarre beliefs of communists and witches. People were basically screwed with whatever decision they made.

SARAH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie said...

1. Your website about Miller is the same as mine, it's a great website indeed!

2. Your site about McCarthyism is great too, I find that to be a great website too, I found that also when I was searching. I would put some more sites on there about the Red Scare. Other than that, looks great!

3. Great description of other witch hunts, I found the same information...must be good if we're finding the same things! Doing a great job Morgan!

Kayla Jessen said...

You have a good description for all three of the questions. However, for question number three you might want to put some sites to support your description. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Your last site is great. I can't believe they did all that to the Jews and gays during the war. You have great descriptions for every site. Good job!

Randall said...

Hey good job morgan. All your sites were good. You and Sarah had one of the same. I liked the one site that showed different plays written by Miller and the effect McCarthyism had on The Crucible

Randall said...

Your summary of the site for the second question is good however I couldn't get onto the site because it said I had to be a subscriber to the site. You might want to look into that.

Villyne said...

Nice sites. They give alot of information. The only complaint i have is the encyclopedia.farlax site. It says you have to be a subscriber. Maybe you should find a different site.

Kayla Jessen said...

Good Job Morgan! You might want to add one more site to your number three, otherwise it looks great. Keep up the good work.

Beth said...

You have great descriptions of your sites. I liked your sites, but I think for the last question you use one of the witch hunts in America.

Randall said...

I believe your best sites were for question one. Good job and thanks because your sites will definately help me with the upcoming assignment.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I really like your first two website its great you have 2, The spark notes just kind of gives a review of the book, not really why he wrote it. The secound one is very good i enjoyed i reading it and learning more about Athur Miller.

The first website about McCarthyism, the Red Scare, Arthur Miller i couldn't access. The secound one is good i have seen it on students websites its a great site.

The last website is good and i would have never thought about it, its great! But did it happen in the United State? I think you have to have another Witch hunt that has taken place in the United States.
Great job!

Anonymous said...

1. This site was interesting because it described why and how Miller wrote The Crucible it was helpful to me.

2.This site did an amazing job in explaining how McCarthyism, The Crucible, and Arthur Miller were interrelated.

3.The site was interesting because it explained how Jew, gypsies, and the mentally handicapped were involved in witch hunts during WWII.

Muffmack said...

Good last site about the Muslims and stuff. Very informative on something we haven't learned much about.

Muffmack said...

Really good summaries. They helped a lot before I looked at the sites.

Muffmack said...

Your first link was very good. I feel like I got everything out of it that was stated in the question.

Sonja said...

Good sites. The first two were really good and informational. The second site I had to be a "subscriber" to view it. I like the third site. It is a great example of witch hunts. Nice Job.

Jarrid said...

interesting sites. i found them all very helpful while trying to complete my own assignment! :D

Lizzie said...

1.) At the end of this first site, it tells how timeless The Crucible is and how mass hysteria controlled and will continue to control witch hunts throughout history.
2.) Where do you go when you click on the 'encyclopedia' website?
3.) Religion is such a hot topic and a major target for witch hunts since people can have such strong views, but do you know of ones that relate to the U.S.?

Ellen Gillette said...

1. I like that you used spark notes. I believe that it is a reliable source and is geared towards people our age in an easy-to-understand format.I like that you pointed out his reaction to events because that is really what prompted his writing the play, but this talks more about one of his other works that is irrelevant to our project.
2.I almost don't consider this a site. I don't know where to find the info. Maybe specify the place you want us to look.
3.I think that this site is relevant because the US is involved with these religious groups and their issues, but I'm not sure where to read to compare the events to a witch hunt. You have a lot of examples that could be improved with more supporting facts. Good Job!

Ford Racer said...

I liked most of the sites, but I didn't understand the encyclopedia site. I also thought your descriptions were great. Good Job.

Landon Schade said...

1)All that i got out of it was it was about miller's life. It was a little useful though.
2)I really liked this site, it compares and talks about the Red Scare and how McCarthiasm and the crucible are alike.
3)I like your examples of 'witch hunts'...the sunni and shiites is very much an American hunt since we are fighting them now.

Anonymous said...

good job, but ur last question can't be about what happened over in europe, it has to be an american witch hunt. find some more sites to explain some of ur other examples. good luck and good job!

Anonymous said...

1. This site about Miller is different, but short and sweet.
2. For your first site I couldn't get it because you need to subscribe to the site.
3. This site is cool since its about WWII and all the unjust 'witch hunts,' but you should get some 'witch hunts' that were in America.

Anonymous said...

I liked your first website morgan.

Anonymous said...

The second site was good. Ive seen that site alot though.

Anonymous said...

Good idea for other witch hunts, and it was a good link.

BUBBLES said...

1) Your first two sites were great in explaining why Miller wrote it.
2) The Red Scare website is good.
3) The Indian sites are saddening.

Lizzie said...

Reading about how the witch hunts prosecuted people is terrifying. The acid showers and gas chambers and all the other ways the people died is horrible beyond belief, and you just want to give the people that conducted these witch hunts that same treatment!!